Sunday, November 23, 2014

Accidents Happen

Accidents happen all of the time, especially if you're clumsy like I am. Some accidents are bigger than others, and thus have a larger impact on our lives. While the word "accident" often has a negative connotation, we neglect to remember that some accidents can be positive and just as life-changing. Case-in-point: chocolate chip cookies. Think how sad life would be without warm chocolate chip cookies!

On a more serious note, I would like to talk about the role positive accidents have had upon my life. Upon reflection, I have come to realize that my closest and most dear friendships happened with people who came into my life strictly by chance. I wasn't trying for friendship with these people, but it found me anyway.

STORY TIME: When I was a wee-little teenager who was starting college in the Fall, I received a Facebook friend request from a boy who I had never met. Our only mutual friends were also strangers to me, but had my university listed as their school. I decided to approve his request, and add him to the collection.

During our first week of college, he sent a message to my roommate, wondering if he could come to a freshman meeting with us. He went with us to the meeting, but he and I didn't really talk much. I was still feeling pretty shy.

Later that night, I was in my room, and he messaged me. As it turns out, this boy named Caleb lived just a few floors down from me. When I asked what he was doing, he told me he had been stood up by someone who had made plans with him to hang out, and was eating Oreos alone in the dark. His story was so sad that I went down immediately to join him. Looking back, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

The rest is history. Caleb and I both became best friends, along with my roommate and a very sassy girl who was introduced to me. These three people entered my life all by chance, and somehow we became the closest set of friends I have ever had.

THE MORAL: Accidents of all kinds will happen. Choose to recognize how much the positive accidents can really change your path of life, and focus on those moments instead of dwelling on the bad ones.

ALTERNATE MORAL: If anyone ever tells you that they are eating Oreos alone in the dark, run (don't walk) to join them. It can be a disguised opportunity to gain a wonderful friendship.







No comments:

Post a Comment